So the dust has settled from last weeks announcements from Orange and we hope you were equally surprised and excited by what we have been busy working on for the past two years. A lot of time and effort goes into researching and developing products we believe you as our fans are going to love. One of these products is the Pedal Baby 100 and i’m sure there are plenty of questions about this compact amplifier. It’s a slight departure we feel from what Orange is primarily known for, so we thought it would help to show how the Pedal Baby can be used.

Why was the Pedal Baby created?

The Pedal Baby was designed to give guitar players the feel of an analogue amplifier incorporated into their small, touring rig. Orange is one of the most recognisable amplifier companies in the guitar amp market and we have spent most of our 50+ years building high watt, heavy amplifiers.  We understand though that some guitar players just want to arrive with a pedal board to the gig, or use their favourite profiles on their digital modeller. So the Pedal Baby was created to allow players to bring a compact, lightweight source of neutral, clean power. Meaning whatever you use it with, you can rely on it to bring your rig to life.

So hopefully that has give you a window into why we designed the Pedal Baby but now it’s probably best to give you some more information on the Pedal Baby, so here is a quick run down of the features.

What is the Pedal Baby 100?

The Pedal Baby is a 100 watt Class A/B neutral power amplifier, it is built for the road, fly dates and anything the modern musician can throw at it. Its lightweight, small and able to push out up to 100 Watts into 8 Ohms! The front panel has EQ controls, so you can fine tune your treble and bass setting quickly and easily.

So now you have a quick overview, here are a few ways you can use this new piece of kit:

If you are the type of player who spends days building the “perfect” pedal board and can’t wait to take your “work of art” out into the gigging scene, then the Pedal Baby could be perfect for you. You’ve got your perfect pedal setup but your stage sound is still missing something? Well the Pedal Baby can give a transparent power source and lift all your pedals sound, you don’t have to rely on the venues amplifier, which lets face it, is always in need of TLC.

We know there are plenty of players who don’t want to play big heavy valve amps and want all their effects and amps in a rack mountable solution. The Pedal Baby can be used with your Kemper, Positive Grid Bias Rack, Fractal or any other modellers to power your rigs.  All your patches and profiles you have spent weeks preparing and fine tuning will sound the best they possibly can with the Pedal Baby powering them.

Picture the scene, you grab your profiler rig and rush to the venue only to find the cabinet you were not expecting. Its got too much bottom end and makes your profiler sound rubbish. This wouldn’t happen with Pedal Baby, too much bottom end no issue! Use the front panel EQ to dial the bass frequencies back and when it sounds good, you are set. The Pedal Baby’s EQ settings are dialed in for guitars, so are the perfect controls to use with your guitar effects.

Any more questions?

So there is a quick overview of the Pedal Baby 100 and some of its applications. We shall leave you with the product video which sees John “Denzil” Dines going through the features and we hope you get to check out our new amplifier.

24 replies
    • Daniel
      Daniel says:

A rack mounting kit should be released in the coming months, keep checking back on Orangeamps.com to check for more information. Thanks Orange HQ

• Daniel
      Daniel says:

• Daniel
      Daniel says:

Hi Steve, you shouldn’t need a fan, as long as you keep the vents at the back clear so the air can move through it should be fine. Thanks Orange HQ.

1. Jon Unruh
    Jon Unruh says:

Can I run it like a separate amp with an ABY pedal and use it for my pedals, will it keep out with my Dual Dark 100 or my TH 100 on one side?

2. Ken
    Ken says:

I’m running a Kemper into the Pedal Baby and then into a 2×12 cab. I know there’s no right or wrong answer, but is there a suggested output level from the Kemper to go into the Pedal Baby? Should I crank the Kemper’s output? Back it way down? Somehwere in between?

Thanks

• Daniel
      Daniel says:

Hi Ken

Our advice would be the Pedal Baby should have quite a high threshold for the input into the front but if the Kemper is creating clipping through the Pedal Baby, turn the Kemper’s output down and then turn the volume on the Pedal Baby.

Thanks

Orange HQ

3. Breno
    Breno says:

Hi Daniel, how are u doing?
    Does this power amp accept a level signal? I mean, does this amp have a level signal input? My thought is to connect the output of my audio interface – running GR5 without the cab simulation – to the input of a clean and flat eq power amp, to an external cab. Tks a lot.

4. Steven
    Steven says:

Hi, would this be suitable to run bass through? Not a ton of info floating around in regards to using modelers like Helix with bass.

• Daniel
      Daniel says:

Hi Stevan
      The Pedal Baby’s EQ is designed for guitar but it has been used by bass players who have bought the Pedal Baby for this exact purpose, best thing we recommend is to try it at your local Orange dealer and see if it works with your Helix the way you hope.
      Thanks Orange HQ

5. Yoyo
    Yoyo says:

Hi,

I am really interested in your new product Pedal Baby 100 amp. But I have already tried a similar product in competition presented as a compact pedal amplifier and multi effects and I was very disappointed in the test because it was not really equipped with a preamp and my guitar pedalboard sounded very muffled despite the presence of an active 3-band EQ on it.
    So before considering the purchase of your new product I would like to know exactly if it can take a guitar pedalboard without preamp and so if this amp has a preamp stage inside or if you recommend to place a preamp in the pedalboard before plugging into the Pedal Baby 100 to avoid having a muffled sound.

I thank you in advance for these technical details that are necessary to convince me to make the right purchase.

Best regards.

Yoyo

• Daniel
      Daniel says:

Hi The Pedal Baby 100 is designed to be used with a wide variety of Pedal Boards, pre-amps, modellers and many other portable rig solutions. We have also had artists and customers using the power amp as a clean amp but the best thing we would recommend doing is to find your local dealer and try the Pedal Baby out with your guitar pedal board. This should give you the best chance of finding out if it is the right fit for your pedal board. Thanks Orange HQ

• Yoyo
        Yoyo says:

Thanks for answering, I will try it with and without preamp section and then I will see. Thank you very much and congrats for your good quality products. Best regards.

6. Scott
    Scott says:

Hi. I have a 1961 Epiphone Pacemaker that I want to run into a power amp/ Slave unit, to boost the output. Would the Pedal Baby work well in this context? Would the line out signal be too much for the pedal baby or is it designed to be used like a slave unit?
    Thanks!

• Daniel
      Daniel says:

Hi Scott

The Pedal Baby only accepts an instrument/line-level signal, so to use with the Pacemaker would not be recommended. The Pacemaker is an amplifier and the Pedal Baby is designed to be used with pre-amplifiers/modellers etc, as it is a 100 Watt power amplifier.

Thanks

Daniel

7. Andrew Bulock
    Andrew Bulock says:

I’m using it with a Kemper (toaster) and a Jim Root 2×12.
    It fits into the front pocket of the Kemper bag, so I can carry the whole rig on my shoulder and fly with it if I want to. It’s felt like an amp to me and I’ve been happy with the results. In loud band rehearsals, it keeps up with a Triple Rectifier.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!